Saturday, November 18, 2006

It's That Season Again!


Domesticated cats are very good at catching things but they don't always bother with the follow through of actually killing and devouring their catch of the day. Unfortunately Sammy Jo is very good at catching baby rats.

Baby rats are disgusting. They look like they belong in a jar filled with formeldahyde in a biology lab. Every fall I am forced to suffer through a two week stretch of baby rats on my doorstep each morning. This morning marked rat number one of fall 2006.





Plan A is to pretend that my cat did not bring the baby dead rat to the doorstep. However, the drawback to this plan is the revolting sight is not about to disappear from my doorstep just by my reclosing the door. Plan B I have down pat. I open the garbage bin, don thick garden gloves, grab a shovel and scoop up the carcass and walk as quickly as possible, while screaming gibberish to dump the offending thing in the bin. Slam down lid and resume breathing.



One day down, 13 to go. I am seriously thinking about having Sammy Jo put under house arrest!

16 comments:

668 aka neighbour of the beast said...

i know people say the cats bring you dead animals out of love.

i prefer to believe something else i heard. cats look at us like big bald dumb animals. they see us and think, stupid humans, can't lick themselves, can't even catch their own food. i will have to do it for them. :)

Toccata said...

Oh my gosh, that's too funny. My cat kind of has that look about him all right. But hey, I think you're just bitter because your dog lured you over and bit you!

mellowlee said...

Oh lord! The look on Sammy Jo's face in that photo is priceless!!!!

Loki brings us gifts a lot too. One time he lay a full grown dead adult rat across the doorway to the bathroom .... while I was in it. I opened the door, and came about 2 inches away from making contact with it ... with my bare foot! Did I scream? HELL YEAH!

I'm certain Sammy Jo is leaving you gifts. Don't you feel loved? *G*

Toccata said...

I actually really like that pic too Mellowlee because it's a look that shows off his anti-social attitude!

Thank goodness he has never brought me a full grown rat!

668 aka neighbour of the beast said...

haha.. probably!

Alana Elliott said...

EWWWWWWW!!!! That is so digusting! I hate rats and mice. I can handle spiders and bugs and reptiles...but YUCK to rats! I think I would have to repeatedly tell myself what 668 says about cats leaving them for you out of love, just so I wouldn't go insane! BLECH!!

Toccata said...

I'm with you there Alana. It's one of those times when I think I really could use a man right now. Guys are supposed to take care of that stuff, right?

Tommy and Teaghan said...

We think he is trying to feed you. Since you feed him he's trying to repay the favor. Plus we always need to show off what good hunters we are!

Toccata said...

Well hello there Beau beau and Angie. Always a pleasure to welcome someone from the states.

Tommy and Teaghan said...

Nice to meet ya too! Hope you had a good time wif the nip. We're going to add you to our blogroll if you don't mind.

Toccata said...

Thanks for the add and I will do the same for you Angie and Beau beau.

Unknown said...

I just don't think about it. They lick their paw clean, don't they?

Toccata said...

Busterp you have left me speechless! I'm sorry I have no idea what you are referring to!

Unknown said...

s/b paws.

OK, I'll try again. I just don't like to think about where their paws have been during the course of a cat day.

Especially later when they are walking all around the house.

Toccata said...

lol Gotcha! Sorry, I must have been partly brain dead last night. Definitely best not to think about.

Phil said...

Aw, I love rast! I used ot have one as a pet and they are just fab!!!
I'm highly alergic to cats though :[